Director of Ministerial Formation United Church of Christ:
In the United Church of Christ, we call ourselves the “comma people”, that is, we are the folks who say with Gracie Allen “Never place a period where God has placed a comma”. Those who come to Phillips Theological Seminary will find the resources here to develop a “comma” ministry, creating with our partner denominations a learning community that proclaims: “God is Still Speaking!”
The denominational formation program that meets the needs of students preparing for ministry through the United Church of Christ helps students integrate the elements of their theological education with the requirements for ordination.
We do so by:
- Offering specific courses in the history and polity of the United Church of Christ
- Providing counsel and guidance for students preparing for and moving through ordination or commissioning processes
- Assistance in developing a profile for circulation within the United Church of Christ
- Connecting students with their conference and/or associational committees that give oversight to ordination on behalf of local churches
- Introducing students to visiting representatives from the denomination
Phillips Theological Seminary is committed to the formation and development of a lively ecumenical community that prepares those who seek to walk the way of Jesus in the world! This is the mission of the United Church of Christ! Come join us!
Ward is the Fred B. Craddock Professor of Homiletics and Worship at Phillips Theological Seminary.