Your Technology Requirements
You should also know that online education requires particular tools. Our technology philosophy is to use the least bandwidth possible in order to make the education we offer accessible to the broadest number of potential students. Students should plan on having:
- A reliable computer, running an up-to-date operating system (e.g., Apple OS X, Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8);
- A Word processing program compatible with Microsoft Word 2007 or newer;
- A presentation program compatible with Microsoft Power Point 2007 or newer;
- Apple computer users should plan to export to or save files with a Microsoft compatible extension (.docx, .pptx, etc.)
- Broadband internet access, or faster, (strongly preferred, regardless of whether it is delivered by satellite, cable, or DSL);
- Speakers needed for adequate sound quality; a headset with microphone solution is strongly recommended during live interactive class sessions;
- A webcam.
Since Phillips faculty and staff primarily use up-to-date Windows software, using compatible software will make things a bit easier for you. Also, you should be aware that connectivity speeds, which affect the quality of your internet connection, vary with your supplier, time of day, and location. The Phillips staff cannot affect this.