The Pension Fund of the Christian Church along with Phillips Seminary and the Christian Church in Oklahoma are sponsoring a Financial Literacy Academy Oct. 7-8 from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Friday's program is for pastors and spouses. The Saturday sessions are for pastors, board chairs and treasurers. Registration (at no charge) is now open.
This event is open to a limited number of ministers and their congregations. Pastors and spouses (if married) are expected to attend together on Friday. Pastors and two financial lay leaders are expected to attend on Saturday. There's no charge for the event and lunch will be included. Register your team early to reserve your spot.
The purpose of the Excellence in Ministry program is to reduce some of the financial pressures faced by pastors and churches. Pension Fund is partnering with Disciples seminaries, including Phillips Seminary, to present Financial Literacy Academy events for clergy, spouses, congregational leaders and seminarians. Classes will focus on both personal finance for clergy households and congregational finance for clergy and lay leaders. Thanks to a grant from Lilly Endowment, Inc., there's no charge to attend this event (but you must register in advance). CEUs for this event will be awarded by Phillips Theological Seminary.
TOPICS FOR THIS EVENT INCLUDE...
For Pastors and Spouses (Friday):
- Personal Financial Identity: Unpacking our Meanings of Money and the Origins of our Financial Narrative
- Budgeting, Borrowing, Saving and Giving: Practical Wisdom for Clergy Households
- Clergy Tax and Insurance Considerations
- Building Blocks of Future Planning and Retirement
For Pastors, Board Chairs & Treasurers (Saturday):
- Best Practices in Financial Management: Tips for Balancing the Budget and Practicing Accountability
- Resourcing Your Congregation's Mission: Strategies for Increasing Church Income
- The Congregation as Employer: Compensation and Benefits for Churches
PRESENTERS FOR THIS EVENT INCLUDE:
- Dr. Todd Adams, Pension Fund President
- Dr. Gary Peluso-Verdend, President of Phillips Theological Seminary
- Rev. Pam Holt, Oklahoma Regional Minister
- Dr. Chris Wilson, Sr. Minister Rush Creek Christian Church
- Mr. Kelly Kirby, Clergy Tax Specialist
- Connie Inglish, Pension Fund Assistant Vice President
- Rev. Micah James, First Christian Church Edmond Associate Minister