Our Culture & Commitments
Phillips Theological Seminary is:
- A graduate school that is open to clergy candidates, laity, and seekers with questions;
- A knowledgeable, progressive faculty;
- A diverse ecumenical community, affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ);
- A place to explore what “the way of Jesus” means that is distinct in this part of the U.S;
- Leaven in our geographical and social contexts, offering leadership education for biblically and theologically responsible, compassionate, justice-oriented Christian practice;
- An educator of ministers serving in more than 20 denominations as chaplains, congregational leaders, justice advocates, ministry entrepreneurs, counselors, and more;
- Home to an outstanding, hospitable library;
- A series of vital conversations in which participants are often transformed.
All right here in America’s heartland.
Phillips Theological Seminary offers theological education dedicated to learning the way of Jesus in order to cultivate vital communities, vital conversations, and the public good.
The seminary’s mission is to learn and teach how to be: attentive to God; responsible biblical and theological interpreters; faithful individuals and communities acting with God to transform the world.