Ministerial Formation - Lutheran (ELCA)
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Formation at Phillips Theological Seminary
Because of its ecumenical character and local availability, Phillips Theological Seminary is an ideal community for ELCA students in the Arkansas-Oklahoma Synod to prepare for ministry before participating in the required year at an ELCA seminary.
For the past several years the Director of ministerial formation for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America at Phillips has been the Rev. Floyd M. Schoenhals, recently retired Bishop of the Arkansas-Oklahoma Synod ELCA, Tulsa, OK. The director of ministerial formation is available to:
- Meet with ELCA students at Phillips on a scheduled basis.
- Provide support and counsel for spiritual formation and personal and professional development.
- Teach or arrange for the teaching of any required history and polity courses.
- Inform and counsel ELCA students concerning denominational requirements.
- Communicate the ELCA vision and mission so that students are prepared to meet this church’s leadership needs.