Susanna Weslie Southard, MDiv, MA
- Instructor in Ministry Studies
- Director of Teaching with Technology
- Women of the Hebrew Bible (Ruth, Esther, Deborah, Song of Songs, etc.)
- Interactive timeline – Abraham & Sarah through Dead Sea Scrolls
- Jewish and Christian approaches to biblical texts
- What the Bible does (and does not) say about homosexuality
- AB, Washington University in St. Louis, 1985
- MDiv, Southern Methodist University, 1989
- MA in passing, Vanderbilt University, 2006
- Joined Phillips in 2007
- Ordained elder in the Great Plains Conference of the United Methodist Church, 11 years pastoral experience
- Member of the Society of Biblical Literature
- Book review of The Destiny of the Righteous in the Psalms by Jerome Creach in Encounter (Indianapolis) (2010)
- Book review of The ancient Israel and ancient Arabia sections of the Encyclopedia of Love, Courtship, and Sexuality (Greenwood Publishing, 2008)
- Contributed to the New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible (2006, 2007)
- Articles on Daniel (2006) and Jeremiah (2005) for DisciplesWorld
- Articles on "Ruth and Naomi” in the Encyclopedia of Religion, 2d ed. (Macmillan, 2005).
I am also known around campus for my boisterous laugh, my love of singing, and my piano playing in worship.
My office has two doors, one from the Student Commons and the other from the west hall, so I'm readily accessible to you.
Email is my friend and I check it regularly. Please feel free to contact me any time or to schedule an appointment in person, on the phone, or via Skype, ooVoo of Google+ Hangout.
Thanks to Brandon Scott for this photo from a faculty meeting.